Monday, May 23, 2011

Scotton vrs. Rice... The Great Debate of 2011

While at work last night one of the hosts accidentally called me Amanda. "Sorry Kirby." She laughed. Leia, the other host standing at the front chuckled and said, "I'm just going to start calling her Scotton," and she proceeded to continue to say Scotton over and over again with a bad Scottish accent.

I chuckled and said, "yeah... don't do that. That's my ex's last name."

"Oh." She apologized. "You should probably change that."

For a few months now I've had friends asking me whether I'm going to keep the last name Scotton, or change it back to Rice, my maiden name, once the divorce is finale between Rick and me. All of my friends have their own opinions, circling mostly around me changing it and even going to as extreme measures as changing Evelyn's.

I have no intentions of changing her last name. But I don't know which I am more uncomfortable with:

having a last name that is different than my daughter's

or

continuing to keep the last name of a man I am no longer attached to. The name I no longer belong too.

I'm sure Rick has his own opinions on it. I can picture both an indifferent reaction and an appalled reaction at the thought of me keeping it. The Scotton family is such a strong and exclusive family. They take their name extremely serious. I don't know how any of them would feel about me changing it back, or keeping it. I could see how both would seem offensive.

So in a moment like this I need to remind myself I need to stop thinking about everyone else. I need to decide based on what I want. I need to make the decision based on what I am going to be the most comfortable with. No one is going to look out for my best interest in any of this other than me.

And I know I have time to decide. There are still 9 weeks before I can formally file for divorce. I  will just have to make up my mind by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment