Friday, October 7, 2011

Fact or Fiction

Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know."

Five years ago when I locked up my muse, put away my pens and burned the pages I'd spent years bleeding into it was because I had reached a point in my writing where all I could write was the truth. That rawness, the pure nakedness that brutal honesty provides scared me.

So I ran. I changed my identity. I silenced my voice. I hid the uniqueness that I had spent my entire life developing because I was afraid.

Now, five years late I sit and stare at empty pages craving the release of the truth.I want to feel special. I want to feel complete in the only way I have ever known how. By fully embracing that which I love. But, I feel like I am completely incapable of writing it, because in writing it I have to accept it. The truth is a hard, cold place. It provides no warmth, no comfort, no hope.

I know that until I can write one true sentence, the truest sentence I know like Hemingway suggests, I'm doomed. Breathing, but a shell of who I am meant to be.

I just need to find my truth.

1 comment:

  1. I love Hemingway's writing, but I don't know that I would take life advice from him.

    ReplyDelete